"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Comic Books Anyone?

I read comic books and am proud of it. I've been reading them for nearly 45 years now, without interruption except for a period of time in the late-'80s/early-'90s when I boycotted DC Comics (the only comics I read back then) after they killed off the original Supergirl.

Up until now, if I wanted to discuss a cool comic I read, I blogged about it on Cyber Chocolate, but since comics are a big part of my reading material, I figured this was a better venue. Don't worry, I won't be reviewing every comic I read, but when one makes an impact on me, I'll discuss it here, though I'll likely mention it on Cyber Chocolate, too. That is an eclectic blog, after all, reflecting my many and varied interests.

So, I've added my list of comics reading (On My Pull List) to the sidebar and will probably add a comics review blog or two to the book review blogs at some point. Just so you know.

EDITED 9/5/06: I've removed the pull list. It makes more sense to have it just on my comic book blog.



5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:13 PM

    I don't read comic books, but I've heard good things about some graphic novels that I intend to look into one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:52 AM

    I'm still holding onto my dream of making it in the film industry. I've found that reading comics really helps to build an understanding of the fundamentals of filmmaking.

    At their best, comics are the medium that provides a creator with the most options for telling a story without really any limitations. Unfortunately, comics usually get treated with disdain from the literary community and the general population.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Bart,
    Interesting comments and good luck with your dream.
    As for comics, they've gained a lot of respect since graphic novels came into being and have become part of public library collections. And more movies than ever are being optioned amd made into movies. So there's hope yet.

    I just love the graphic form of storytelling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:20 AM

    In case you haven't read them, the Asterix comics are the best comics in the world (IMO). They never get old, and you always find something new everytime you read them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm familiar with Asterix, tried a few. I guess it wasn't for me. Thanks for bringing it to folks' attention. :)

    ReplyDelete