"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Okay, I'm Hooked

On Minette Walters. I can't remember when I was last so excited about an author. I picked up three more of her paperbacks today. Not the newest one because it's a bit bigger and heavier. It's an experiment in design for aging baby boomers: a more readable paperback. A bit taller, better quality paper which is heavier but nice looking, and a larger font for a pb. And I tried it but it's too heavy and clumsy in my hands and I won't be able to hold it while on the treadmill and that's where I mostly read mysteries. I just have too many other books to read to get it for subway reading. Still, I can't really complain about a publisher trying to make books more readable.

But the 3 I got should keep me busy for a while:

  • The Ice House
  • The Breaker
  • Fox Evil

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:38 AM

    I love Minette Walters. Have you read The Scold's Bridle? I think that's my favorite of hers... Then again, I'm behind on my Walters reading. Must catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that one. At least, I don't recall seeing it yesterday at B&N. Maybe I'll try a different B&N today at lunch. We have 2 more within walking distance from work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I found and bought it. :) But the next one of hers I plan to read is The Ice House and work my way up from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:13 AM

    Ooh, I also love Minette Walters! I've read all of her books (except her latest, a novella called Tinder Box), and enjoyed them all. She has a distinct writing style and really knows how to create interesting characters. I could never pick a favourite because they're all good and all quite different.

    Enjoy your reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Tania. One thing I do love about Walters is that her books are so different from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:55 AM

    I love Minette Walters too! I have the Dark Room, Fox Evil, The Breaker and The Sculptress which is my favorite. I agree with you too, her books are so different unlike other suspense novelists, like M.H. Clark. Enjoy - I sure did!

    Tara :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:42 PM

    Yes, Minette Walters is a great writer and storyteller. I think I've read them all save for Tinder Box. I do think though, that her earlier wors (Ice House, Sculptress, Scold's Bridle, Dark Room) are her best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's interesting, Patricia. I'm going to read the earlier ones in order now that I have them. It'll be interesting to see if I agree. :)

    ReplyDelete