"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Friday, February 10, 2006

My Booked by 3 Answers

Name your 3 favorite children's series.
  1. Nancy Drew
  2. Dana Girls
  3. Trixie Belden
Yes, I loved mysteries when I was a kid. I got away from the genre for many years, switching to spy books and science fiction, but I've been reading mysteries again the last 5 or 6 years. They're great for the gym. My Nancy Drews and Dana Girls were hand-me-downs from my mother's friends with daughters older than me and were from the '30s mostly. Then I started buying my own in the '60s. They weren't the watered down versions of more recent years and they had the old, creepy illustrations that gave the books the right feeling. As for Trixie Belden, she seemed like a real kid and she aged over the course of the books, which I loved.

The other series I liked but had only 2 books of was Judy Bolton. And another close runner-up is the Little House Books. I also loved Mary Poppins and Betsy and Tacy, which I saw others have mentioned.

Name your 3 favorite non-series children's books.
This is harder. I didn't read many children's books when I was growing up. Mostly, the series and adult books for as far back as I can really remember. I mostly know YA books from my days as a YA librarian. One children's book I read as an adult that I loved is Holes by Louis Sachar. Others are The Girl in the Box by Ouida Sebestyen and Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien. I do recall loving books from the Arrow and Tab book clubs when I was a kid. One about a woman with a daughter who married a man with twin sons, one of whom was troubled, has stayed with me. I don't recall the title or author, but I remember the story so well, even the names of the teen boys: Adrian and Andy.

And of course, there's always Dr. Seuss. The Cat in the Hat is my fav of his books.


Name 3 favorite children's book characters.
  1. Ned Nickerson from Nancy Drew. In the early books, he was the perfect guy.
  2. Laura Ingalls Wilder. A real person, she made the perfect character.
  3. Mary Poppins. She was a force to be reckoned with.


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:00 PM

    This meme is making the rounds of my Besty Tacy list serv - and I think I'll post it on my blog too- this is one of the better ones I've seen - thanks for sharing.
    And I love the Betsy Tacy and Laura Ingalls Wilder books too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :) A Betsy Tacy list serv, huh? I guess there's one of those for pretty much anything. I wish I remember the books better, beyond that I loved them.

    ReplyDelete