"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Booked by 3 November: My Answers

  1. Do you use bookplates (For those who don't know, they're nice designs on paper you glue into books to claim them as yours)? No.
  2. Do you write your name in your books? I used to, especially if I lent them out.
  3. Do you attach stickers with your name and / or other info into your books? No. The closest I've come is to highlight and jot notes in texts back in college (1970s, folks) and when I was a kid, I made my own book pockets and due date cards for when I lent my books. I guess I was fated to be a librarian. I can't bear to write in books now.


2 comments:

  1. I use beautiful parchment bookplates. I calligraphy my name in them, along with the month and year of gift or purchase. I only purchase hardbacks because I have no idea what to do with paperback books, which I consider ugly. They have no heft, no permanence, no seriousness of literary significance about them. I decorate with my books. They are shelved in my livingroom; old leatherbound volumes are stacked artfully on tables; antique books are stacked and staggered among crystal candlesticks and gold and silver tapers and beautifully labeled wine bottles on my diningroom table. Beautifully spined books are on corner shelves in the diningroom also with other objects like brass boxes, pewter tankards, and old bottles. As an English teacher, books are sacred to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your books sound lovely, Nance. Must be quite a collection.

    Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete