"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Booked by 3: May, My Answers

Was so busy crafting and trying to finish the book I was reading before my vacation that I forgot to post my answers to my own meme. So, here goes.

1. Name up to 3 books you think everyone should read.

I thought a lot about this. Should I give varied titles? Work off a theme? There are too many books I consider a must. So, I'll go with 3 cautionary tales.
  1. 1984 (more relevant today than ever)
  2. To Kill a Mockingbird (the dangers of prejudice)
  3. The Plot Against America (demonstrates how easy it can be to lose freedoms in the name of security)
2. Name up to 3 authors you think everyone should read.
  1. Philip Roth (a true wordsmith)
  2. Arthur Clarke (his books show true vision)
  3. Minette Walters (suspense/mystery doesn't get better than her books)
3. Name up to 3 books no one should read.

I knew going in this would be iffy. I don't like telling people a book doesn't have redeeming qualities. Just because I don't like a book doesn't mean someone else won't like it. So, I won't name titles, but I will say that just because someone is an expert on a subject doesn't mean he or she can write a novel about that subject.

And I found John Grisham's The Firm oddly disappointing. Halfway through, I realized the protag was always a step or two ahead of the baddies and that just killed the suspense for me.