"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Memorable Books Meme

I need to write a review or two, but I've been lazy and still recovering from the nasty bacterial infection that I caught back in November. So, until I get those reviews up, someone posted this meme over on LiveJournal and I liked it a lot, so here are my answers, here, because it's a book meme.
"This can be a quick one. Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you've read that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes."
In no particular order, and in longer than 15 minutes because I couldn't remember titles and drew a blank on one author's name and had to Google it:
  1. Watership Down by Richard Adams
  2. The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue
  3. Cat trilogy by Joan Vinge (Psion, Catspaw, Dreamfall -- I think of them as one long book)
  4. Spares by Michael Marshall Smith (the first of his I read and it spurred me to read everything by him)
  5. The Shape of Snakes by Minette Walters (the first of hers I read and I've devoured every other book she's written that I can get my hands on)
  6. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
  7. Shardik by Richard Adams
  8. The Church of Dead Girls by Stephen Dobyns
  9. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  10. A Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter Miller
  11. Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens
  12. Nancy Drew, The Dana Girls, and Trixie Belden books. Some of them are among my all-time favorite books, especially The Clue in the Crumbling Wall and The Ghost of Blackwood Hall (Nancy Drew) and The Secret at the Hermitage (Dana Girls).
  13. Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy (assigned in school, my fave of Hardy's books)
  14. Midnight Nation by J. Michael Straczynski (A comic book maxi-series, it came out in trade as a graphic novel, so I'm counting this awesome work.)
  15. Under the Skin by Michel Faber
There are so many more, but this is a nice, eclectic mix. I keep thinking there are 3 or 4 others that should come before these, but their titles are just beyond my reach for the moment, so this list will suffice. Good books all.


7 comments:

  1. My answers are posted here. Like yours, mine is pretty off-beat. And I loved ...the Crumbling Wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how many times I read that Nancy Drew and Blackwood Hall. I lost count when I hit 3 figures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great Booking Through Thursday. I loved this exercise! I like your list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun. Loved your answers. Feel better, Shelly. Grab some books & kick back :].

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Book Resort! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's mine:
    http://thebookresort.blogspot.com/2009/06/booking-through-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete