"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Sunday, January 03, 2010

We'll Be Here for the Rest of Our Lives

TITLE: We'll Be Here For the Rest of Our Lives: A Swingin' Show-biz Saga
AUTHOR: Paul Shaffer and David Ritz
Read on my KINDLE

I've been a fan of Paul Shaffer's ever since I first saw him do his Don Kirschner impression on Saturday Night Live, so I was really looking forward to reading this. It's a breezy, funny, sometimes poignant (especially when he writes about people no longer alive, like his parents, Gilda Radner, and John Belushi) memoir that is completely readable, at times, compellingly so.

The chapters are thematic rather than chronological, and he covers his life from his childhood dreams of showbiz and playing the piano at shul (Jewish temple) to becoming David Letterman's band leader and everything in between. This is a very entertaining show business memoir, without the backstabbing and tell all trash that mars so many such books.

It was my first Kindle book and I read most of it on the plane while on vacation, the perfect travel book!

No comments:

Post a Comment