"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Game of Ice and Fire

I now join the legions of fans eagerly awaiting the 6th book in George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series: "The Winds of Winter." And that means I also join those fans watching the series who know more than the people watching HBO's "Game of Thrones" but haven't read the books. Which means, I need to be very, very careful about what I post or say so as to not spoil it. But.... WOW, those books are intense. And I discovered that the books are at times, more suspenseful than the show, because he takes so many pages describing what people are wearing or eating, what the room looks like, that slow down the moment you know must be coming, building on the feeling where you just know something's going to happen. In the show, the visuals are there before us and don't serve the story the same way. They have to set the stage in a moment, and of course, TV is very different than books, but I recommend, if you've got the time (for me, nearly a year), and you're watching the show, read the books, too. There are a lot of differences.

Review to follow as soon as I digest what I stayed up til 4 a.m. last night to finish reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment