"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Books I Won't Read

This post intrigued me: "Ten Books We'd Probably Never Read," over on The Broke and Bookish.

So, here are 10 books I haven't read and have no plans to ever read, in no particular order.

  1. Fifty Shades of Grey. It's fine that there are people who love it, but it's not for me, and not just because of the subject. I've read that it's poorly written, too. Not something I plan to spend time on when there are plenty of other books to read, including plenty of erotic ones. 
  2. Gone with the Wind. Yeah, I know. It's a classic. But I never did read it and I think the ship has sailed on this one for me.
  3. The Vampire Lestat and other books by Anne Rice. I had the series for years before I decided to take a look at them. I can usually get hooked on a book that interests me by skimming it. It didn't work for me with these.
  4. Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. I barely heard of them when I was growing up, preferring science fiction to fantasy. Now that I've seen the movies, unlike with "Game of Thrones" that led me to devour "The Song of Ice and Fire" books, I have no interest in Tolkien's books. The movies were fine.
  5. Harry Potter series. What I said about Tolkien's books above applies to these, too. Watching the movies was sufficient.
  6. Outlander series. I watched the first half of the first season of the series but lost interest after the second half of the season started. Which tells me I probably shouldn't bother with the books.
  7. Anything by Joyce Carol Oates. I tried one of her books, didn't get past page 2. So boring.
  8. Anything by Hemingway. I had to read one of his books in high school. I got up to page 7 or 8 before I quit and faked my way through the classwork.
  9. The Great Gatsby. Yeah, another classic. People love it. It never interested me, and it was never assigned in my classes, so I lucked out. 
  10. Vanity Fair. This classic was assigned in other classes, but not in mine. I always meant to read it on my own, the way I did with so many classics, but in the past, many decades, I've never gotten around to it. I think this is another case of too late.



No comments:

Post a Comment