"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Miscellany

I refreshed the blog links over in the left sidebar. Only one had to be removed due to no posts in just over a year. I added a few others I read regularly.

I've been playing on GoodReads. I much prefer Library Thing. On LT, I add a book and it's in my library. If I want to indicate I don't actually own it, I add it to the "Read, Not Owned" collection I created while adding to my LT library. Easy peasy, all part of one step. On GR, added books go onto a shelf, none of which are "Owned Books." GR has an "Owned" section, but you have to add books you've shelved to "books owned" as an additional step. If there's a way to do that at the same time I "shelve" a book on GR, I have yet to find it. So, that's an annoyance because I own pretty much all the books I read these days and want that indicated.

I've also spent hours obsessively answering/trying to answer/skipping Trivia questions on GR. Talk about addictive.

Over on Library Thing, I tried out the catalog feature being tested, that makes your library work like an opac (online public access catalog) as found on library sites. LT is offering it to small libraries for a fee, but individuals can use it for free. It gives more options for searching your own collection. Very cool!

Finally, I widened the columns here and am thinking of redoing the design, using new colors, making a new header. It's been a while since I changed to this look and the old blog is looking a bit long in the tooth. Time for a change!


No comments:

Post a Comment