"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Dystopian Literature

So many people and publications come up with booklists. Best Books of the Year. 100 Works of Literature Everyone Should Read. How Many of these Classics Have You Read? Etc. I enjoy them, generally, but this list of Best Dystopian Books is right up my alley. And I've read the following from the list:

Erewhon by Butler
We by Zamyatin (I read this for a college course on Utopian and Dystopian lit, but it was an earlier translation. I have a later, better translation -- it was written in Russian -- that I hope to read someday.)
Brave New World by Huxley
1984 by Orwell
Lord of the Flies by Golding
The Stars My Destination by Bester (I didn't think of this as a dystopian novel when I read it.)
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Miller
Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut (Currently reading this!)
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Wilhelm
Neuromancer by Gibson
The Postman by Brin
Moxyland by Beukes
The Hunger Games by Collins
Bitch Planet by DeConnick (Yeah, graphic novels/comic books are on the list! This one is ongoing.)

That's not a large percentage, but I do have a lot of others from the list sitting on my shelves, waiting patiently for me to get to them. I'll be adding some others from the list, too. But I wish Roth's The Plot Against America had been included.

No comments:

Post a Comment