"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Summer Weeding

One of the hardest, and usually necessary, things for a reader/book collector to do is weed the collection. As a librarian, I was pretty ruthless when it came to weeding. Shelves stuffed with books no one wants to read prevents people from finding the newer, more appealing ones. I find it a bit harder to weed my own collection.

The attraction for me in having a lot of unread books is that I have a variety from which to choose my next read. But the problem -- well, one of them -- is that I keep buying books, more than I can possibly read, and space for them runs out.

Today, I've been weeding my science fiction and fantasy books. I was reading science fiction nearly exclusively in the '80s and bought a LOT of science fiction and fantasy novels in the '80s and '90s, including series, one of which is six paperbacks of over 500 pages each. For me, that's at least a year of reading time.

I keep everything I read and liked and I'm keeping all the unread books that still sound appealing and have under 500 pages. It's a real slog. I feel like I'm saying goodbye to future friends I've let down. But new authors and new books are pushing them out. The shelves are looking a lot better already.

Wait until I get to the mysteries and general fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment