"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Thursday Bookworm

1. We've all heard the phrase, "Don't judge a book by its cover." Have you ever picked up a book based solely on the title or the picture on the cover?
A few times. One book that caught my eye with its title was The Starlite Drive-In by Marjorie Reynolds. Most recently, I found Shadow Baby by Allison McGhee that way.

2. Along the same lines, do you ever look at whichever book someone else is reading in public or whatnot, and based on that make a snap judgment about their character or literary taste? (I realize this might not seem all that clear, so let me give an example- for instance, whenever I see someone reading War and Peace, the first word that pops into my mind is "pretentious." Most of the people I've known who carry that book around just do it to get attention and demonstrate how "smart" they are, when they actually never get past page 10).
I always try to see what people are reading, out of professional curiosity, since I'm a librarian, but I don't make judgments.

3. Do you buy books online? If so, where is your favorite place to find them?
No. I'm a brick and mortar bookstore lover.

4. From someone who's had more than her fair share of library fines... what is the largest late fee you've ever incurred at a library for returning a book past the due date? Have you ever borrowed a book from a library and never returned it?
I never returned a book late. And I never failed to return a library book. But it's been years since I've borrowed a book. I prefer to buy my own.

5. What is the first book that you can remember reading by yourself as a child?
I can't remember back that far. :)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:15 AM

    LOL- when I realized that a librarian would be answering my questions this week, I kinda didn't want to post the one about the library fines, because I personally am bad about returning books on time! I've actually lost them and had to pay to replace them in the past, which gets expensive. Which could be why I spend so little time in libraries these days...

    Anyway, great answers again this week, and I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. heh. As long as you did return those books and paid your fines, all is good. Even tho other people might've been waiting for them. ;)

    Thanks for visiting and you have a great week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:43 PM

    Did you read The Starlite Drive-In? Your post caught my eye because I read it pretty recently, wondered what other people thought of it, realized that no one I know has read it, and was annoyed. So, yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I read Starlite Drive-In a few years ago, so my memory of it is a bit fuzzy, but I did enjoy it. I liked the characters and the setting was fun because it was different. We had a drive-in theater not far from us when I was growing up, tho we went only once or twice, and it was nice seeing the back scenes of such a place. It wasn't great, but it was a pleasant surprise for an "impulse" read.

    ReplyDelete