"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Sunday, June 12, 2005

My Summer Booked by 3 Answers

1. Do you have seasonal reading habits, ie: read different types of books in the summer than the rest of the year?
No. I alternate books usually to maximize variety throughout the year.

2. Do you read one book at a time or do you have two or more books going at once?
I used to have 3-4 books going, but now it's 2. One for commuting and sometimes at home, usually when I'm near the end, and one for the gym. Gym books are thrillers, mysteries, anything that works as a pageturner so I forget I'm exercising. And I read comics and magazines at home.

3. Do you read anywhere and anytime you can or do you have a set reading time and/or reading place?
Mostly on the subway and when I commute, sometimes at night before going to bed or during dinner.


7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:50 AM

    I've felt curious about this before and now just have to ask....how and when do you read while at the gym? Just curious, because I've seen people reading magazines while cycling or walking and I often wonder just how they manage to get a work out and read at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I use a bike, which isn't often cuz my knees hurt when I do, it's the kind where the handlebars don't move so I need only one hand to hold on. Same for the treadmill. I hold on with one hand and hold the book with the other. I've gotten good turning pages by briefly taking my other hand off the bar. But I don't run; I walk fast. It may not be the ideal workout, but it's a steady pace on an incline.

    Reading is the only thing that makes the time go quickly. Music doesn't do that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:48 AM

    still sounds as though it requires concentration on two fronts requiring a semblance of co-ordination, I just know if I tried it I'd fall flat on my face or slip my foot off the bike. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I have slipped a bit on the treadmill and I can't run or walk really fast. I also can't hold many books. They have to be the right size and weight for my hands. It does get complicated. My hubby doesn't know how I manage it, either. But at least I'm exercising and reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:44 PM

    Just found your blog - and I love your links, I wasted way more time than I should have exploring them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the feeling. Every time I find an interesting new blog, not only do I read the entries, I click all the links I don't know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:44 PM

    Shelly, I miss you. Did you leave town? Leave the country? Where are you?

    ReplyDelete