"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Some Miscellany

Literary quotes can be found here.

Also, I just read the sad news on a few blogs that Evan Hunter, who also wrote under the name Ed McBain, died. I never read his books, but I have the pb of Candyland, the book he wrote, uh, with himself, waiting for me. I tried to find a link, but nothing's coming up for "Evan Hunter" obituary, which is weird because the internet is usually faster with news than that.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:48 PM

    Some stories are up and running now. A Google news search will bring up articles from the Seattle Times, Newsday and others.

    According to Newsday, in addition to his well-known detective novels, "Mr. Hunter drew on his own experience as a teacher to write 1954's "The Blackboard Jungle," a story of big-city school violence that became the 1955 film starring Glenn Ford and Sidney Poitier.

    His other novels as Evan Hunter included "Mothers and Daughters" in 1961 and "Last Summer" in 1968.

    He helped Alfred Hitchcock adapt the screenplay for the 1963 film "The Birds" and worked on screenplays from his own novels, including the 1972 Burt Reynolds movie "Fuzz" and 1960's "Strangers When We Meet," with Kirk Douglas and Kim Novak."

    I read one or two many years ago, but nothing recently. They weren't really my cup of tea, but I certainly admire his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:06 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I saw things online, after I posted. :) I thought it was so clever and cool of him to write a book with himself. He even had pictures put together of him as both Evan and Ed for the book jacket. Ed, as I recall offhand, was dressed more casually. There were some wonderful interviews with him at the time Candyland was published. And of course, while Evan Hunter, was his legal name, he had his actual name legally changed from his original Italian name which is escaping me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The removed comment was a duplicate of Gale's excellent comment. :)

    ReplyDelete