"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

A Big Book

So, how many folks plan to read Hunger's Brides by Paul Anderson? This debut novel weighs in at 1,360 pages. I must admit to being curious, though I think it'll take me a year to read it and I certainly wouldn't be able to carry it around, given it weighs almost 5 pounds. I'm trying to picture what the lareg print edition would look like, or the eventual paperback. And how many cassettes or CDs to record it? The mind boggles. This article on NY Times Online about it seems accessible without a password.



5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:39 PM

    That one's not on my list at the moment, but I have very-soon plans for an older book, The Magus, by John Fowles (650pgs). The longest one I ever read was Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (over 1,000, but not as long as your next tome!)and loved it so much, I read it twice.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book's going on my list, but I won't be reading it any time soon. First, it needs to come out in paperback, then I need a lot of time to actually read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:06 AM

    I'm really tired of oversized books and think that VERY few can't be edited down. No, I have no real interest in a book that's over 1000 pages; 1) I bet it could have been cut down; 2) I bet it could have been made into two books. I literally cannot carry/lift /read a book of that size, because of disabling back and hand problems so I would NEVER carry it with me and thus wouldn't be able to finish it, I imagine in the time it was due back at the library. But then I just googled it - knowing nothing about it until you mentioned it and it doesn't interest me ANYway, so phew. I don't have to worry about missing something.
    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:20 PM

    The novel sounds intriguing, but I'm definitely daunted by the number of pages. Unless it's Middlemarch, I want to romance a book, not marry it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Patry. That's a great line. :)

    ReplyDelete