"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Monday, December 12, 2005

Feeling Guilty

This is a book blog and this entry is about books, although not a review or meme. It's about books we don't read and feel guilty about not reading them. I suppose I could make that a question for a future Booked by 3, but it's in my head now, so here it is, something to ponder.

I got this stuck in my mind because I've come to know (in that familiar yet not quite knowing way of the internet) many pro writers from writers message boards, mostly on AOL, but a few other places, too. For many, I'm reading their blogs. Some have been published for years, while others are newly published. And to confuse the issue, there are people I know from my fan fic days, who also wrote fan fic, who are now pro writers.

See, I get a thrill when I see books from one of these folks in a bookstore. I get the "gee, I've conversed with So-and-So online and here's their book. Wow" feeling. And in a display of support, I chose to read some of their books. I tried a couple of mystery writers from AOL's boards. Mostly, I enjoyed the books. Not among my favs, but solid writing and decent mysteries. I read the SF written by a former fan fic writer. She won an award for her first book, and while I liked it, I felt it was overwritten. When I saw her at a fan con a couple of years later, all I said was "Good book." And no, I'm not naming names here. :)

Then, more recently, I read a SF, a first published book by someone I know from message boards. It wasn't for me and I ended up skimming it just to see how it ended. This book got wonderful reviews. I haven't posted comments about the book on the message board because I can't say anything glowing about it. And while I've reviewed it here (now, everyone will scurry off to search the blog), I can't bring myself to tell him, sorry, but I thought it was dull and uninvolving. Plus, I couldn't follow the science, which I suppose, isn't his concern. Plenty of people more savvy than I am loved it.

So today, I saw the pb of a SF book, a reprint, I believe, of a hardcover that, you guessed it, was very well received and had wonderful reviews. I read this woman's blog. I think the book was the first, or maybe second of hers, to get published. I wanted to read it. I read the blurb. Okay, nothing that jumped out and grabbed me by saying You must read me! but nothing I would hate on sight. So I skimmed a bit inside, as I tend to do with new authors, to see if the writing style appealed to me (this is a good test, but not infallable; I got faked out with this for the book mentioned in the previous paragraph), and discovered that it didn't jump out at me, either. Nothing horrible about it, but it just didn't involve me. So I let it go, thinking I could change my mind (the cover is very nice), but I doubt I'll go back for it. And now I'm feeling guilty about it.

But then, I think of the 2 or 3 other books here by people I've "met" online and figure, I'm paying my dues. I try to read as many first novels and books by authors I "know." I just have to hope if I ever get published, someone will give my book a chance. Or, if not, that they don't feel guilty about it. That sucks.

So, do you have any books you feel guilty for not buying/reading?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:23 PM

    The short answer is "god, no".
    The longer answer is that like you, I've met authors. But seriously? I know hundreds of authors. Probably 400 to 500 because I've attended sf conventions since the 70s and mystery conventions, where I've organized program more than once, for over 10 years. So I know, really KNOW, as in more than just to say hi to, so many authors that if i were to feel guilty about not reading/liking their books,I'd be in deep doo-doo.
    I don't think you can afford to feel guilty because you don't like a book. The opportunity to "meet" an author nowadays, because so many are on line? That's fantastic, esp. for folks who don't know the convnetion world. I think it's wonderful that you can get to meet, talk to, become friends with a writer because they're on a list you're on or they read your blog or you go to their website and post somehting to them. But feel guilty? Do you KNOW how many authors there are out there?
    And I don't come from fan fic, but I come from fandom. And I still admire the heck out of writers. But recently on a list I'm on, someone posted something that might have been joking but felt serious - that if the writers were not on that list, s/he didn't read them. That if they were any good, they HAD to be on the list. Man, was that an appalling thing to see. I keep hoping it was a joke, and said so.
    Some of the best writers will never be available to us; some people we like a LOT aren't writing books to our taste. Guilt? don't be silly. Who has time for guilt? And why would you feel guilty for having specific taste? You don't set out to dislike someone's work. But it's gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make good points, Andi. I've met authors at cons, tho not a lot. I've been to 3 WorldCons. I think I've chatted the most with Joe Haldeman and David Brin, 2 authors I love.

    The thing with some of the ones I had in mind when I wrote the post is that I don't see the big deal, the reason their books got so many great reviews. It's not that it's not my taste. I wanted to love those books. But the writing... too wordy, too convoluted, too pretentious, too obscure, too too too. Y'know?

    So while folks applaud Author So-and-So's latest efforts, if I didn't like it, I go hide in the corner, because I just can't bring myself to say, "I thought it was incomprehensible." Cuz, maybe it was just me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:24 PM

    Oh goodness yes! I'm constantly reading of books that get superlative reviews, and of course, from others who 'highly recommend' this and 'highly recommend' that. But when I pick it up and skim, it may not be what I'm looking for at that point in time. It may have nothing to do with the writing style but probably everything to do with the story. I can't put finger on it. The author may be great, but I don't think I'm ready to read what he has to say. Know what I mean?

    So yes, I usually pass on books like that, and happily spend hours browsing to find MY little bit of heaven, and sometimes, an obscure one at that. LOL!

    Merry Blessed Christmas, Shelly!

    ReplyDelete