"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Booked by 3 August, My Answers

D - E - F


I'm going to do this in library fashion and skip the articles A, An, and The at the start of titles.

1. Books you liked with titles starting with D, E, and F.
  • D: The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester. A classic of science fiction. Can you get away with murder when the authorities can read your mind? Dry by Augusten Burroughs, a memoir, is one of the runners-up.
  • E: The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty. I read very few titles starting with E. This one kept me awake at night back when I read it.
  • F: The Fixer by Bernard Malamud. There were a lot for F, but this one really stuck with me when I read it. I was 16 and while I'd heard about some of the things anti-Semites believed, this book really opened my eyes to the true horrors of hatred and prejudice.
2. Authors you like with first or last names starting with D, E, and F.
  • D: Dennis Lehane. I prefer his standalone mystery/suspense books. Mystic River was masterful.
  • E: Elizabeth Moon. Her The Speed of Dark was wonderful, as is her science fiction. Another letter with a lot of runners-up, including Barry Eisler and Eric Garcia.
  • F: Alan Furst. Books like Kingdom of Shadows established him as a master of World War II fiction centered on non-soldiers in France and Eastern Europe in the early years of the war. His research and attention to detail is amazing.
3. Books on your To Read list starting with D, E, and F. (These are actual books sitting on my actual shelves.
  • D: Death from the Woods by Brigitte Aubert
  • E: Empress Orchid by Anchee Min
  • F: Fay by Larry Brown.


3 comments:

  1. Man...now I'm a month behind. I've been meaning to do this since you first posted it...

    Must get on it. Maybe today I'll get my reading lists out and go through them....

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries, Cat. It's been one of those summers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I'm up, and it only took me half an hour, actually! It's good to have flashes of organization! :-)

    ReplyDelete