"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Friday, December 01, 2006

Booked by 3: December

Lookie! I'm getting it up on time, or early, given the lateness of recent months. So, even though there's a whole month left of the year, let's try a year-end wrapup of sorts.

The NY Times announced its 10 Best Books of the Year. And of course, there's the list of the 100 Notable Books chosen by the NY Times. I can't list all 100 here (well, I could, but it would make for a very long post), but I will list the top 10.

ABSURDISTAN
By Gary Shteyngart. Random House.

THE COLLECTED STORIES OF AMY HEMPEL
Scribner

THE EMPEROR'S CHILDREN
By Claire Messud. Alfred A. Knopf

THE LAY OF THE LAND
By Richard Ford. Alfred A. Knopf

SPECIAL TOPICS IN CALAMITY PHYSICS
By Marisha Pessl. Viking

NONFICTION

FALLING THROUGH THE EARTH
A Memoir.
By Danielle Trussoni. Henry Holt & Company

THE LOOMING TOWER
Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11.
By Lawrence Wright. Alfred A. Knopf

MAYFLOWER
A Story of Courage, Community, and War.
By Nathaniel Philbrick. Viking

THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA
A Natural History of Four Meals.
By Michael Pollan. The Penguin Press

THE PLACES IN BETWEEN
By Rory Stewart. Harvest/Harcourt

  1. Have you read any of the top 10 or any from the 100 Notable Books list?
  2. Are any of these books on your To Be Read list?
  3. Is there any book listed you think shouldn't be a Notable Book or one that you think should have made the cut?


6 comments:

  1. The Only book I have read on the 100 list is Lisey's Story. I have The Road on its way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be very boring, or very much out of the loop. I have read tons of books and none of them are on the list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:20 AM

    I'm surprised not to see Kazuo Ishiguro's "Never let me go" in the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:07 PM

    I tried to read special topics in calamity physics but I found it to be pretentious, fresh out of graduate school writing. I have not read Amy Hempel's book yet but she's great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm.... I have Special Topics in Calamity Physics on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My answers are posted in the usual place, but I'll just say here that, like Joe, I'm clearlyout out of the loop...somehow. :-)

    ReplyDelete