"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Monday, January 04, 2010

Choosing the Next Book

Sometimes, I know just what I want to read next, typically the latest paperback by a favorite author. But other times, like now, I'm paralyzed with indecision. What am I in the mood for? Do I want a fast reading book so I can get more books read or a longer, more involved tale that's been sitting on my shelf for years? Should I just work alphabetically by author through the hundreds of unread books or should I alternate genres? So many books here, and not nearly enough time to read them all. Sometimes, I wish I didn't have so many and had to go to a library and choose from whatever's available. But I have my own home library and there are always too many to choose from.

So I made a decision and picked a science fiction novel, one by an author I have not yet read: Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. I hope I like it. :)