"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." (Francis Bacon)

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

TITLE: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
AUTHOR: Stieg Larsson

I finished this a week or so ago. I think I've been reluctant to write the review because that will mean it's over. And I don't want it to end. I don't want to face the fact that there will be no more books with Mikael Bloomkvist and Lisbeth Salander and all their supporting characters. It's been a long time since a group of characters has meant as much to me as they do.

The books weren't the best written, which might be Larsson's doing or the translator's, but it didn't matter. The stories moved despite the writing. These people were living with me. In this one, Lisbeth is under arrest for various violent crimes and with the help of Bloomkvist, his lawyer sister, and a number of other people who believe in her despite her arrogant, prickly nature, she fights back against the society and politicians and secret agents who wronged her. And in true Salander fashion, she puts her own spin on that fight.

There isn't much story in this book, but it does bring all the threads of the first two together and wraps things up while leaving the door open for further adventures. I read that there was a fourth book on Larsson's computer, but with his girlfriend and his family fighting over the rights to everything connected with the Millennium Trilogy, I doubt we'll get to see another book. It's a damn shame.

If you haven't read them, give them a try. I've been often disappointed by "major bestsellers," but I wasn't disappointed in these: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment